Skip to main content Skip to footer

Crime Prevention

If there is an emergency or criminal offence underway, please call 911 or contact the RCMP.

 We recognise the importance of feeling safe and secure in your home or business. Council is committed to working with the community and local law enforcement to ensure that all residents, businesses and industries feel safe and supported. 

Saddle Hills County Peace Officer

Roles & Responsibilities

The County currently has one Peace Officer on staff, working approximately 40 hours a week. This time is divided into shifts, weekday and weekend, daytime and evening, and is split between the office and the seven wards.

Our Peace Officer's duties centre around education and bylaw enforcement, they do not enforce criminal code violations. Criminal code violations include things such as theft, break and enter, domestic abuse, assault, and drug offences, among other more serious crimes such as homicide.

The Peace Officer is responsible for enforcing the County's Bylaws and Policies. Peace Officer's monitor traffic on all County roads, excluding provincial Highways 2 & 49, for offences such as drunk driving and speeding. They also patrol for safety violations by commercial vehicles, such as improperly or unsecured loads, and will often provide support to other departments in the completion of their duties around the County, such as accompanying staff on home visits.

Bylaws | Policies

Contact or File a Complaint

To contact the Peace Officer, or file a complaint about a Bylaw infraction, please call the dedicated enforcement line at (780) 506-0109. You can leave a message here and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)

In case of an emergency please dial 911. 

Saddle Hills County is served by the Spirit River Detachment located at 4501 50th St., Spirit River, AB. T0H 3G0. They can be contacted directly at their non-emergency number (780) 864-3533 and are open Monday-  Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. for in-person enquiries and complaints. 

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are responsible for investigating all criminal code offences. 

Reporting a Crime

We encourage all residents, businesses and industry to report all crimes to the RCMP to help them gather accurate data which will enable them to provide services accordingly. 

You can report a crime by calling 911 for emergencies, (780) 864-3533 for non-emergencies or by filing a report online. 

File a Report Online

For Oilfield representatives who wish to report a crime at a site please complete an Oilfield Crime Occurance Report.


The Alberta RCMP have launched a brand-new app for mobile devices, available on iOS and Android through the app store, called ‘Alberta RCMP’. The app allows them to provide the public with online access to news, crime reporting, detachment locations, crime mapping and statistics, and a map for initiatives like Project Lock Up. It also provides access to partner law enforcement services, mental health supports, Crime Stoppers and links to AB RCMP social media accounts. More information can be found in the RCMP Press Release.

Image of Alberta RCMP App

Download from the Apple App Store

Download from Google Play

Other Resources

Alberta Rural Crime Watch App

For those interested in further crime reporting and information resources there is an 'Alberta Rural Crime Watch' App available with information on online crime reporting tools, RCMP boundary maps, safety tips, and social services contacts. For more information visit the Alberta Rural Crime Watch website.

Image of Alberta Rural Crime Watch App

Download from the Apple App Store

Download from Google Play

Residential Security System Grant

Saddle Hills County now offers a $500 grant to County residents to help offset the cost of the purchase and installation of security cameras/systems on their property, as of January 23, 2024.

The grant is one-time funding, up to a maximum of $500 per residence located within Saddle Hills County, and is only eligible for primary residences, as outlined in Policy AD70.

For more information and to apply for the grant, please visit our Residential Security System Grant page. 

CAPTURE - Register your Security Camera

You can register your security camera through CAPTURE (Community Assisted Policing Through Use of Recorded Evidence) to assist police in investigating crimes, such as property theft.

The registration is voluntary and secure and only requires the location of your property and where cameras are situated. To register your camera, visit

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Saddle Hills activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.