Skip to main content Skip to footer

Tree Permits for Cutting your own Christmas Tree

Did you know that you can cut down your own Christmas Tree on certain designated Crown Land areas? As long as you get a Personal Forest Use Products Permit or Local Timber Permit you can harvest your own tree from within Alberta's forest areas.

Personal Use Forest Products Permit

You can get a Personal Use Forest Products Permit to harvest trees on provincial Crown Land within Alberta's forest areas. This includes cutting down a Christmas Tree, cutting firewood, cutting posts and rails, and removing transplants. 

To get a permit you must be:

  • at least 18 years of age
  • a resident of Alberta
  • in good standing with the Crown relating to timber, grazing, and land use

With the permit you can cut up to three Christmas Trees, under 2.5m in height (approximately 8 ft) and no more than 15 cm in diameter at the stump. Permits are free and expire 30-days from the date issued. 

Please note that you may need a 4-wheel drive vehicle to access the forest area. Be sure to contact your local Forest Area Office for more information on your local forest area.

You can get a permit online or in person at a Forest Area Office. For more information you can also send an email to  

In Alberta, cutting trees for personal use is not allowed:

  • outside of Forest Areas without authorization
  • in Provincial Parks or Provincial Recreation Areas
  • in National Parks

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Saddle Hills activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.