Skip to main content Skip to footer


When you subdivide land, you are legally dividing a single parcel of land into two or more smaller parcels. The Subdivision Process would also be followed if you wished to change the boundaries of existing parcels of land. 

If the subdivision proposed is not allowable under the current zoning district shown in Land-Use Bylaw, you may require a rezoning or Land-Use Amendment Application. 

There are many reasons to subdivide your land, and if you require any help at any point in the process, please contact us at or call (780) 864-3760.

The Subdivision Process

To apply, please complete and submit a Subdivision Application Form, available online or at the County Office. You can either choose to complete the form yourself or have an Alberta Land Surveyor or a professional planner assist you.

When filling out your application, make sure to include:

  • A sketch of the property including the location, dimension, and boundaries of the existing parcel, and of the proposed new parcel(s).
  • The location of all existing buildings, water supply, and sewage systems, indicating the distances between each of these, as well as the distances to the property line.
  • Features such as treed areas, sloughs, creeks, steep slopes, pipelines, and oil or gas wells.
  • A current title search printed within the last 30 days.

Depending on your application, we may require additional information. Should this be the case, our Development Coordinator will be in touch to discuss steps. 

The process of subdividing land results in each of these parcels having their own land titles.

Most titles, documents or plans can be ordered through the Alberta Registries Spatial Information System (SPIN2), or through a registry agent.

Titles are also available through Saddle Hills County for a fee. Please contact us at or (780) 864-3760 for more information.

 Application fee


 Base application fee

Fee (per lot created)


 This fee will also include the balance of the quarter. Example: $200.00 Application fee + $100.00 for new parcel created + $100.00 for balance of quarter = $400.00

Title Search

 $15.00 (plus GST)

This fee is only applicable if you would like Saddle Hills County to order the land title on your behalf.

Endorsement (final approval) fee per lot created


Fee for the final approval of the subdivision. This is charged after the subdivision has been approved and an Alberta Land Surveyor has prepared a plan.

For example, to subdivide out a single parcel from a quarter section, the fee is $400.00.

Other subdividing costs include the fees of the Alberta Land Surveyor to prepare the Plan for registration, and the cost of registering the Plan at the Land Titles Office.

Depending on the details of the Subdivision Proposal, there may be additional costs. For example, a multi-parcel Subdivision Application may require the completion of soil and water tests. Any additional costs can be explained to you by our Development Coordinator.

Once your Subdivision Application is approved, you will be mailed the approval, along with a copy of the approved tentative plan.

Please take these documents to an Alberta Land Surveyor to have the appropriate documents prepared, such as a Descriptive Plan or Plan of Legal Survey. Once this plan is complete, and all conditions of the subdivision have been met, your surveyor will send the plan to Saddle Hills County for final approval.

Once approved, your surveyor will take the approved plan to a Land Titles Office to complete the process.

Saddle Hills County has 20-days from submission of your application to review it and determine if it is complete.

Once accepted, the County then has 60-days to send the application to referral agencies and affected parties, and to issue a decision.

The Development Authority will approve the plan when all the conditions of the approval have been met. All approved plans will be returned to your surveyor to be registered at Land Titles.

Appealing a Subdivision Decision

You may appeal the decision of the subdivision authority if the subdivision has been refused, or if you object to the conditions of approval. 

Council, affected school authorities, and Provincial Government Departments may also appeal a subdivision decision. Landowners and residents near your subdivision do not have the right to appeal.

You must send your appeal, along with the appeal fee of $100.00, within 14 days after receiving the decision. Appeals should be addressed to:

Saddle Hills County

Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Clerk

RR1, Spirit River, AB. T0H 3G0

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board will then be responsible for hearing the appeal. Very rarely, the appeal may go to the Municipal Government Board. If you are appealing an application, you will be contacted by a Saddle Hills County representative with next steps.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Saddle Hills activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.