Skip to main content Skip to footer

Assessment Definitions

Learn the difference between Taxes and Assessment, what steps you should take once you receive your Assessment Notice, and how to file a complaint with the Assessment Review Board (ARD).

What is the difference between Assessment and Taxes?

Taxes and Assessment are often confused. Although related, each is a distinct and independent process.

'Assessment' is the process of assigning a dollar value to a property. This value is then used to calculate the amount of taxes owed.

'Taxation' is the process of applying a tax rate to a property's assessed value. This determines the taxes payable. Tax rates are determined by council annually and available in the current Tax Rates Bylaw.

Property Assessment x Tax Rate = Taxes Payable

An owner cannot change the tax rate; however, an owner can question their property assessment.

What you need to know

The previous year's property assessment is used to calculate the current year's taxes.

Saddle Hills County issues a combined property assessment and tax notice. This begins a 67-day assessment complaint period. During this time, we encourage you to review your assessment details and contact assessment if you have any questions or comments. The assessment complaint period is the time we dedicate to working with you to review your property assessment. We are committed to providing reliable information and service that you can count on.

If you received an amended assessment notice then your 67-day assessment complaint period will begin based on the date of your amended notice.

What happens next?

  • Assessors prepare the assessments.
  • Saddle Hills County Council sets the tax rate, referred to as the 'Mill Rate'
  • Council approves an annual budget to operate the municipality, and the revenue required is divided by the municipality’s assessment base.

Step 1: Review your assessment notice

Check the accuracy of your property details and search for comparable properties and sales in your area, to ensure your assessment is fair and equitable.

Step 2: Talk to us during the assessment complaint period

If you have any questions or comments about your assessment value, the process, or anything related to your assessment, please contact us and we’d be happy to assist you.

What you can do:

  • Share you questions and comments with us
  • Update us on your property
  • Learn more about how your property was assessed
  • Show us comparable properties you found in your assessment search
  • Make a free appointment with an assessor to discuss your property in depth. Appointments may be in-person or over the phone depending on your preference.

What we will do:

  • Verify and confirm information about your property.
  • Explain what we need to verify or correct any inconsistencies. Confirmed inconsistencies will be corrected.
  • Share how your property assessment was determined.
  • Look at the different properties that may have been used as comparable properties, including those found in your research.
  • Discuss variables which may have influenced your property value.
  • Answer your questions in an honest, transparent, and respectful manner.
  • If we cannot come to a consensus, assist you in appealing to the Assessment Review Board (ARB).

What should you do if we can't reach an agreement?

If we are unable to come to a consensus about the assessment of your property, you may file a complaint with the Assessment Review Board (ARB). The ARB is an impartial tribunal that hears and resolves assessment complaints by property owners. A complaint may be filed no later than the final date noted on the front of your assessment notice.

You cannot appeal your Tax Notice, only the assessment of your property (Assessment Notice).

A valid Assessment Complaint Form must be accompanied by the required filing fee of $50 for Residential or Farmland, indicated on the front of the assessment notice. Before filing your complaint with the ARB please speak to us, and we will provide you with a brief summary of the steps you will need to take.

If you choose to file a complaint, your hearing date will be provided to you by the ARB. It is suggested that you gather and prepare the evidence you wish to provide even before you have been given a hearing date. This is an important task as you will need to provide evidence which supports your determination that your assessment is incorrect.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Saddle Hills activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.